(PRWEB UK) 13 November 2012
Protect Your Bubble, specialty insurance company, offers some tips on going faster on a bicycle. Increasing a bicycle’s speed is not going to happen because of a single action, but a combination of several different actions that will gain speed. Use the following tips carefully and always wear a helmet when riding.
1. Aerodynamics – There is a reason cyclists were tight fitting clothing. The less air resistance a cyclist has the better air flows around the cyclist. This reduces drag and increases speed ever so slightly. Billowing or loose fitting clothing will catch air and slow the rider.
2. Tyre type – Tyres make a difference when riding a bicycle. The larger diameter and thinner width tyres mean more distance per revolution and less friction with the road. This means more speed to the cyclist. The thick tread of a mountain bike tyre will also cause more friction with the road, so if commuting and cycling on the road, smoother road bike tyre will speed up the journey.
3. Tyre pressures – Properly inflated tyres have less surface to road contact and require less energy to keep the bicycle moving. Pundits argue about tyre pressure constantly because what works for one tyre is not the best for another. The safest bet is to keep tyres properly inflated to manufacturers recommendations at all times.
4. Routes – Downhill with a favorable backwind is always ideal, but ideal does not translate into practical. Fortunately, various apps are available for those interested in finding faster routes that take things like hills into account. Additionally, weather apps will help find the best winds based on a particular route, use both to find the fastest route and best speed.
5. Dodge traffic – Let’s face it; traffic can be brutal, but on a bicycle, there are some distinct advantages. Rather than sit at a stop light, get off the bicycle and walk it across the road before jumping back on. This will considerable cut back on time lost because of a light. Skilled riders can manoeuvre through stopped cars and lorries and find themselves at the front of the pack of vehicles.
Regardless, remember two very important things: wear a helmet and have bicycle insurance. Protect Your Bubble offers cyclist insurance starting at only £2.99 a month, it is protection that is affordable. Visit Protect your bubble for additional information or to get a free quote.
About Protect your bubble
Protect your bubble is an online insurer specialising in bicycle, car hire, gadget, travel and pet insurance. Bicycle insurance cover currently available are the Every Day Cover, designed for general daily commutes; and the Adventure Cover, our premium level cover with additional benefits tailored for the more serious cyclist.
Find out about our insurance services: uk.protectyourbubble.com/
Get a bicycle insurance quote: uk.protectyourbubble.com/bicycle-insurance/
Every Day Cover verses Adventure Cover: uk.protectyourbubble.com/do-I-need-everyday-or-adventure-cover.html
Find Protect your bubble UK on the following social networks: