(PRWEB UK) 14 November 2012
With train travel prices increasing and the cost of owning a car becoming ever higher people now may turn to hiring a car. This is a simple and relatively painless task. However, be careful and pay attention to the terms and conditions. Protect Your Bubble, a car hire excess insurance provider, offers these ten tips for car hire in the U.K.
1. Read the fine print – It’s easy to skip reading the fine print and assume it is all in order. Buts it the hirers responsibility to read the terms and conditions and be aware of any fees for fuel, cancellations rules and the accidental breakdown procedure. If there is something difficult to understand, ask about it before signing on the line.
2. Check the car out completely – Before driving away make a note of any problem with the vehicle, on the appropriate form, no matter how minute. This protects the driver and the hire company. Completely check the tyres, the windshields, dings, paint chips and anything on the car. Once signed, any imperfection could be the responsibility of the hirer.
3. Petrol – Fuel policies differ from company to company. Check to see if it is to be returned full or not. If it is to be returned full, fill before returning to the company. Check the terms and conditions to see if fuel is expensive with the car hire company than at a standard petrol station.
4. Late drop off – In a perfect world, there would be no traffic or problems to make people late, but since this is not a perfect world, things happen. Be sure to ask about late drop-off procedures and after-hours procedures. Some companies charge by the day, so a late drop-off could incur extra charges.
5. Contract and contact details – Since this is a hire car, be sure to keep any and all paperwork in a secure location inside the car. This way, it is always available in case of routine stops or non-routine stops.
6. Review the credit card statement carefully – A hire car requires a credit card for deposit, but at times additional charges may be added after returning the car. Check credit card statements and challenge any extra charges that shouldn't have been applied using the original contracts from the car hire date as well as any other important information such as customer service representatives, times and phone contacts.
7. Deposit – Hire cars will take a deposit, but be certain 100% of the deposit is returned. If not, inquire why or why not and challenge if necessary. Deposits are held in case of damage or fuel replacement, items covered in the initial contract.
8. Shop around – All hire car companies are not the same. Inquire about free upgrades or discount rates. Even if there are none available, it still does not hurt to ask about them.
9.The right sized car – Having enough car may not immediately be a priority, but spending long hours in a car that is too small gets uncomfortable quickly. Plan on hiring a car that is at least one half size larger than thought necessary to accommodate bags, pram, souvenirs, etc.
10. Insurance and Excess – Read up on what the insurance from the car hire company does and doesn't cover, every company is different. Often the hirer is still liable for certain parts such as the tyres or windscreen, even if the excess is reduce to zero. Reducing the excess to zero can mean a significant increase on the hire cost. It’s possible to leave the excess amount and purchase separate insurance policy which will reimburse the excess should damage to the vehicle occur.
Protect Your Bubble offer hire car insurance starting from just £2.42 a day or £38.03 a year. The standard hire car insurance covers loss or damage of the keys and car, damage to tyres, glass and under-body. The gold package includes all this plus excess reimbursement of up to £2000. For more information on what covered and a free quote visit Protect Your Bubble.
About Protect your bubble
Backed by a Fortune 500 company, Protect your bubble is the UK’s largest specialist gadget insurer that also offers a wide range of gadget insurance products, iPhone insurance, Smartphone insurance, Laptop insurance mobile phone insurance and more all at great value affordable prices.
Car Hire Insurance - uk.protectyourbubble.com/carhire-insurance
Car Insurance - uk.protectyourbubble.com/car-insurance/
Mobile Phone Insurance - uk.protectyourbubble.com/gi-mobile-phone-insurance.html
Find Us On: