(PRWEB UK) 18 January 2013
So the wintery weather has hit the UK and so those looking for a ski holiday on a limited budget are in luck. As it happens, there are plenty of quality ski resorts in the U.K and all that is necessary to get there is a quick trip. Protect Your Bubble, specialty travel insurance agency, has a list of the best locations for a winter escape to hit the slopes.
1. Raise, Helvellyn, Cumbria – As one of the best ski centres in the country, this 1936 location has everything modern. A button lift, website, webcam and some incredible off-piste runs, Raise has already had some excellent snow fall and the coming season looks even better. The pistes, including a map on the website, has some black runs for experienced skiers and snowboarders. A long run of over 1 km is possible if there is snow on the valley floor.
Facilities: The Lake District Ski Club operates the button lift and the lodge is purportedly the highest building in England. A membership fee is necessary: £23 per person or £34.50 for family membership. Once a member, the costs are inexpensive. £7 for a day-pass, or £20 for a season pass.
2. Yad Moss, Cumbria – A lottery grant has two piste bashers and new slope-side café at this, the largest one of the list. Interesting terrain, pistes, and an excellent scene make this the place to be for the snow. Look for runs of about 800 metres or walk a bit for gullies where snow may have drifted.
Facilities: One stacking button lift with permanent pylons and two piste bashers, all operated by the Carisle Ski Club. Cost: £15 for a day-pass non-membership, £7 with.
3. Storey Arms, near Brecon, Wales – As soon as snow falls, the Brecon Beacons are full of skiers. In the 1980’s, it was popular as a ski location and if snow continues to fall, expect a revival. The Storey Arms Outdoor Education Centre gives snow reports and the terrain is awesome; carve the gullies or ride the smooth meadows.
Facilities: Plas Y Brenin and Cardiff Ski Club are known to run rope tows, and in the 80’s at the height of its popularity, saw up to 600 people in a day. Cost: No clubs to speak of, but with £20, expect a full day of ski action.
4. Allenheads, Northumberland – With lots of snow already in 2013 lifts are predicted to run for many days. Find about 220 metres of ascent and 400-500 metres of skiing along various routes, including a wide meadow and woods at the bottom.
Facilities: Three tows total: two rope and one portable from the British Norwegian Ski Club. Membership is £25 for membership for the year, and only skiing and snowboarding available.
5. Swinhope Moor, Weardale, County Durham – A fantastic winter so far, expect more as the season progresses. 250 regular members ski the slopes and non-members are welcome with a day pass. Wide, open and gentle for the newcomers and gullies and terrain for experienced skiers await. A 1 km run is possible, but it is a fair exchange for Alpine like conditions in Britain.
Facilities: The Weardale Ski Club has two button lifts and a Kassbohrer piste basher smoothes rough snow. Cost: £15 for a day-pass.
6. Castleside, operated by Consett YMCA, County Durham – Already a good snowboarding location, this is a YMCA sponsored location. Available for groups of 10 or more at £300 per day including rope tow and tuition. Terrain offers a 300-400 metre run.
Facilities: Two rope tows operated by Consett YMCA.
7. Harwood Common, County Durham – The south slope is open weekends, school holidays and when snow is sufficient and a member present. The Federation has a phone message detailing conditions. Slope is gentle, open at the top and a fun gulley at the bottom.
Facilities: The Harwood Ski Federation has two rope tows Cost: : £10 for a day-pass, non-members welcome.
Regardless of a winter holiday location, be sure to bring along some insurance. Protect Your Bubble provide great value insurance for UK and worldwide breaks. To learn more, get a free quote or to see other offerings, visit Protect your bubble.
About Protect Your Bubble
Backed by a Fortune 500 company, Protect your bubble is a specialist gadget insurer that offering a wide range of gadget insurance products as well as pet insurance, travel insurance, car hire excess insurance, smartphone insurance and more.
Travel Insurance - uk.protectyourbubble.com/travel-insurance/
Car Hire Insurance - uk.protectyourbubble.com/carhire-insurance/
Airport Parking - uk.protectyourbubble.com/airport-parking/
Find Us On: