We now have more 50m pools than ever before and more people have access to swimming facilities – which is great for the public, the pool industry and the country."
Cambridgeshire (PRWEB UK) 31 October 2016
The UK’s swimming pool, spa and hot tub industry has been praised by Olympian Sharron Davies MBE.
The popular sports personality and TV presenter was the guest speaker at the UK Pool & Spa Awards, which celebrated the outstanding achievement of the companies that are involved in the multi-million provision of water leisure.
Fresh from the Rio Olympics this summer, Sharron was full of praise for the UK’s growing pool and spa sector: “The UK’s provision of swimming pools has come a long way in the last few years, mainly on the back of the 2012 Olympics. We now have more 50m pools than ever before and more people have access to swimming facilities – which is great for the public, the pool industry and the country as a whole.
“Swimming has been such an important part of my life and I’m delighted to see such improvements not just in the number of pools, but also in the quality of the pools that we have in the country today.”
Showcasing the finest examples of pool and spa design from across the country, 156 swimming pools and hot tub projects were recognised at the 2016 UK Pool & Spa Awards, which is open to the entire water leisure industry.
Winners across 27 categories were presented with trophies and certificates at the awards ceremony by over 200 of the industry’s key personnel including leisure operators, pool builders, designers, hot tub manufacturers and retailers.
Christina Connor, Editor of the industry’s leading trade publication Swimming Pool Scene, organiser of the event, commented: “The competition raises the profile of the entire water leisure industry and recognises companies that provide us with first class swimming facilities.
“Learning to swim and having access to a swimming pool is a necessity and we hope that the awards go some way in highlighting the importance of the great work that these companies are doing.”
Among the big winners of the night were:
- Parkwood Leisure - Water Leisure Operator of the Year
- Brean Leisure Park & Holiday Resort Unity in Somerset - Water Leisure Venue of the Year
- Tydd St Giles Golf & Country Club in Cambridgeshire - Holiday Park Pool of the Year
Gold Standard winners included:
- The Gainsborough Bath Spa by Barr+Wray
- ClubSpa at Kenwick by Grayfox Swimming Pools
- Wet N Wild splash park in North Shields
- WaterWorld in Stoke-on-Trent
On the residential side, companies such as London Swimming Pool Company, Tanby Swimming Pools, Falcon Pools, North Spas and Hydropool were praised for their home pool and hot tub installations.
Hampshire-based pool design company Aqua Platinum Projects was named overall winner in five separate categories, including Residential Indoor Pool of the Year and Health & Wellness Project of the Year.
Note to editors:
- The annual UK Pool & Spa Awards are organised by the publisher of Swimming Pool Scene and Hot Tub & Swim Spa Scene magazine.
- The 2016 UK Pool & Spa Awards were held at the Vox Conference Centre within Resorts World in Birmingham.
- More information on the awards can be found at http://www.ukpoolandspaawards.co.uk